Hundreds of years ago, the Akita dog was a dog that was very respected by the Japanese royal family and has become a cultural symbol. To this day, Akita dogs still receive great popularity around the world because of their extremely loyal nature. So if you want a soulmate, a keeper, and a close friend, the Akita dog is the best choice. But in order to tame this breed, the owner needs to know the characteristics, personality, training, and care of the pet.
Origin of Akita dog
Akita dog is also known as the Japanese Akita dog. This dog breed originated from the Honshu island of the Akita region, Japan. Therefore, people have taken the name of the above locality to give the loyal dog.
Akita dogs began appearing in Japan in 1600 and were bred for the purpose of protecting the Emperor and those in the Japanese Imperial family. But later, Akita’s dog was raised as a warrior and as a predator in the army and police. Up to the present time, the Akita dog is considered a symbol of prosperity and authority of the Royal line.
Characteristics of the Akita dog
Akita dogs often have outstanding growth in height and weight. For adult Akita dogs, the height of the pet can reach 71 cm. Meanwhile, the weight of Akita dogs ranges from 45 to 66kg.
It is known that the Akita dog is classified as a snow dog when it has 2 layers of snow-white hair. In a few other cases, the Akita dog’s coat is also brown, fawn, red, or a characteristic spot color. But usually, the lighter the color of the dog’s coat, the more it is appreciated for its beauty.
Compared to other hunting dog breeds, the Akita dog’s body is more majestic and muscular. The dog’s head is triangular in shape and has a rather large size that looks very similar to that of a wolf. The dog’s small, jet-black eyes create a contrasting effect when viewed from the front.
Speaking of dog muzzles and dog ears, the Akita dog’s muzzle is quite short. On either side of the dog’s head are small ears that are pointed upwards. A dog’s back is longer than it is tall. But the Akita dog’s chest is wide, with a long neck that looks quite muscular. The special thing is the long slender dog legs. Dog toes have webbed swimming feet similar to cats’ paws.
Another prominent feature of the Akita dog is the long tail with smooth and curved hair just above the straight back. The medium-sized brown or black dog nose fits the face very well.
Classification of Akita dogs
Currently, Akita dogs are divided into two main categories based on origin. Including Japanese Akita dog and American Akita dog. These two breeds have different characteristics as follows:
1. Japanese Akita Dog
The Japanese Akita or Akita Inu is a dog breed from the mountainous regions of Japan. Pets possess a characteristic white, spotted brown or yellow coat. The purebred breed has a toned body and a muscular body. The height and weight of the Japanese Akita dog range as follows:
- Female Akita Inu Dog: Weight 23 – 29kg, height 58 – 64cm.
- Male Akita Inu Dog: Weight 32 – 39kg, height 64 – 70cm.
2. American Akita Dog
The American Akita dog has been bred in the United States since the end of the Second World War. Through the elaborate breeding process, the American Akita dog breed even possesses a larger body than the purebred Akita Inu dog. But the precious qualities of this breed cannot be compared with Japanese dogs.
Normally, an adult American Akita dog will develop the following height and weight:
- Female American Akita: Weight 36-54kg, height 61-66cm.
- My Dinh Akita Dog: Weight 45 – 66kg, height 66 – 71cm.
How to raise an Akita dog
If you want your pet to grow at its best, you need to know the technique of raising purebred Akita and hybrid Akita. Here are detailed instructions on how to care for Akita dogs for beginners:
Habitat of the Akita dog
As we all know, the Akita dog has a rather large body size. Therefore, this breed is not suitable for keeping in small cages. Pets only feel comfortable when they live in a spacious space where there is enough space for fun activities.
You can keep pet dogs inside gardens with large yards or let pets in the house. If the living space is too small and you must use a cage, you need to take your dog for a walk every day so that the pet can exercise and be psychologically relieved.
Akita dog hair care
The Akita dog has a thick and long coat. Dogs shed a lot during the day and usually change their coat twice a year. You don’t need to bathe your dog too often, just wash the fur twice a week. But in return people need to spend a lot of time grooming their fur every day. This will minimize the condition of tangled hair and more shedding.
How to take care of Akita dog’s health
If Japanese poodles often suffer from gastrointestinal diseases. Akita dogs are very susceptible to lacrimal gland inflammation or hip dysplasia. If you do not want your Akita dog to have the best health, you should clean your pet’s eyes and increase your pet’s calcium-rich diet.
For puppies, breeders need to be fully vaccinated against many dangerous diseases right from birth. In addition, when owning a dog, you also need to periodically check the dog’s hair and the toes between the fingers. You need to control the growth of fleas and ticks on the pet’s body. If you find them, destroy them immediately so that the Akita dog does not have to be thin because of blood-sucking or shriveled because of hair loss.
Akita dog’s diet
Akita dogs have sharp teeth so they can eat a variety of foods. You can apply the following 3 diets for Akita dogs:
- Dry Grain Diet: This means that owners can feed their dogs industrially processed nuts. Inside this type of food contains a full amount of nutrients necessary for the growth of animals. But people should only feed pets alternately so as not to affect the dog’s digestive and excretory systems.
- A diet of natural foods for dogs is also a great option. At this point, you can process rice, raw meat and animal organs into attractive dishes for your pet. In the diet, dog owners can add vegetables, tubers and fruits to increase fiber for them.
- Raw meat diet is often used by people who do not have much time to prepare dishes. Because you just need to feed your dog fresh beef and pork without processing. This is the favorite food of the hunting dog breed from Japan.
One more thing that you need to keep in mind about the Akita dog diet is to limit the use of the following unhealthy foods:
- Cow’s milk is for human consumption.
- Various sweets and chocolates.
- Spices and herbs.
- Packaged food.
Dog Meal Diet
- For Akita puppies from 0 to 3 months old: Eat 5 to 6 meals/day.
- For Akita puppies from 3 to 5 months old: Eat 3-4 meals/day.
- For Akita puppies from 6 to 8 months old: Eat 3 meals/day.
- For Akita puppies from 9 to 12 months old: Eat 2 meals/day.
- Akita dog over 12 months old: From 1 to 2 times / day.
How to train Akita dogs
Although Akita dogs are quite docile, hidden deep inside is still stubborn, stubborn and very difficult to subdue. So you need to persistently apply the following training exercises for Akita dogs:
Training Akita dog to obey orders
- Sit down command: Hold the dog in the opposite position → Order to sit down and then use one hand to gently pull the collar, one hand to gently press the bottom of the animal → Hold for 15 seconds → Repeat for 30 days.
- Command to stand up: Hold the dog in a sitting position facing the dog → Hold the bait dish across the dog’s nose → Take 1 step back and then slowly raise the bait dish → Command to stand up → If they obey, then feed them → Repeat about 15 times a day for 30 days.
- Command to come: Stand 100m away from the dog → Hold the bait dish in one hand and point it directly at the pet → Shout the command “Dog name + Come here” → Use a leash to pull the dog towards the food dish to lure the dog back → When the dog runs to you let them enjoy the bait → Repeat every day.
- Handshake command: The owner should squat and put the plate of food in his lap → Let the dog sit opposite and then say sit down → Continue to shout the Yen command → Give the handshake command → Use your left hand to lift the dog’s right leg to Teach them to shake hands → Hold the handshake position for 15 seconds → If the dog cooperates, feed them.
6.2. Train your dog to go to the toilet in the right place
- Step 1: Prepare a separate toilet place for the dog.
- Step 2: Observe to understand the dog’s signs of wanting to go to the toilet.
- Step 3: Take them to your urinal.
- Step 4: Call out the command “Dog name + Go to the toilet quickly” and then make them sit in the correct position. If the dog does not cooperate, use the Yen command.
- Step 5: Repeat for 2 weeks to form a habit for the dog.
In short, the Akita is a fierce, loyal hunting dog with many valuable qualities. You should base on the identification characteristics mentioned above to find yourself a purebred dog breed. Right after that, please apply proper care and training techniques to keep the animals in order.