Let’s look at some reliable methods to determine if your golden retriever is purebred before you go to the pet shop or contact a breeder.
Purebred dogs are the result of carefully bred dogs that have been registered with documentation. A proper pedigree and paperwork are two of the best ways to determine if a golden retriever has been purebred. American Kennel Club (AKC) is the largest American dog registry. AKC-certified pedigrees contain:
- The registration number and name of the dog.
- Markings and colors
- The pup’s ancestors held competition titles.
- All health-related information.
How to Identify a Purebred Golden Retriever without Paperwork
A pedigree is not necessary. It can help you to determine if your dog has any health issues. A pedigree will not make your golden retriever more loving, loyal, or friendly. Without proper paperwork, how can you tell if your dog is a purebred Golden Retriever?
This can be a difficult task, if not impossible. The size, shape, thickness, and colors of golden retrievers are varied. These are just a few of the ways that you can tell if your dog is purebred and not registered.
What to expect from a Purebred Golden Retriever
Although there are some cosmetic differences between golden retrievers, most have many common traits. These are the main characteristics that make up the golden retriever breed.
- Personality Golden retrievers have a playful and gentle personality. They are easy to get along with strangers and other pets. They love to please and will often respond to obedience training. They are also affectionate, intelligent, and even-tempered.
- Color The signature golden coat of the golden retriever can be displayed in a variety of colors: dark golden, light gold, cream golden or red golden.
- Tail: The tails of Golden retrievers are long and reach the hock, but not below. It can vary in length and range from 4-12 inches. Some dogs have longer, fluffier tails than others. Others have more feathering.
- Ears Golden retrievers have short, folded-over ears.
- Hair and coat: The outer coat of a golden retriever’s golden retriever is dense, water-repellent, and thick. You can have your hair straight or wavy. The back legs of golden retrievers are feathered, as well as the tail and chest.
Where can I get a purebred Golden Retriever?
A trusted and reputable breeder is necessary if you are looking to adopt a purebred golden retriever. Golden Meadows Retrievers is an AKC Breeder of Excellence with more than 25 years of experience. We breed and train golden retriever puppies in loving homes all over the country. To make sure they are a wonderful addition to your family, our puppies get early socialization and training.