Life vests can initially appear as a waste of time for dogs but they serve a crucial function, even if the dog can swim. For dogs who spend long periods of time near or in the vicinity of water, life vests could literally save their life however there are many different types of vests that can be for the same purpose or are suited to the dog in the right way. Learning how to properly utilize the life vest is essential for dog owners who like to spend time in the lake with their pets.
How do I get a dog life vest?
Similar to humans Life dog vests can be described as clothes that are worn over the chest and give you a sense of buoyancy when in water. They are made from cushioned, buoyant material that will keep your dog dry when they are in the water. They come with a grab handle as well as D-rings to attach the leash to. These essential, but basic features are essential to any useful life vest, as well as strong buckles that can securely tie the dog. The variety of designs and colors could also assist in visibility when at sea.
The choice of a life vest for Your Dog
There are a variety of brand names designs, styles, colors, and designs offered however a few important aspects are worth considering prior to purchasing.
- Dimensions –Typically the dog’s weight will be the main factor in selecting a suitable size life vest however chest measurements must be taken as well to ensure the proper fit. Life vest manufacturers typically provide measuring guidelines to aid dog owners in choosing the appropriate size vest for their pets. Tape measures are useful to get the correct measurements however testing a life vest is the most effective way to test the fit. Life vests must be comfortable however, the dog must be capable of walking, running, or leaping and, most importantly breathing comfortably. If the life vest isn’t large, the dog could fall out or struggle to swim and stay in the water.
- The color or pattern of a life jacket might seem like a minor aspect, but if dogs do fall into the water, the owner should ensure that the life vest is highly visible. The reflective tape can also be an excellent option for the life vest in case the dog has a habit of being near the water during the night.
- Handling the dog thrown into the water, it might require a lift to get out. Therefore, sturdy and well-attached grab handles are crucial for any life vest that is of high quality.
- D-Ring A D-ring securely fixed to a vest is an excellent feature to look for on the life vest. The ring allows owners of dogs to attach a leash to the vest so that the vest does not have to be removed and put back on every time a leash is utilized.
- BucklesIn order to ensure that a life vest stays on a dog, it will require buckles. They are superior to snaps or hook-and-loop fasteners or other methods of attachment because they can securely lock in position and make sure that the life vest won’t fall from the pet. They can be adjusted to allow for a snug size.
- Neck Float Easily neglected, but a vital feature inside a safety vest neck floats are an element of a life vest that offers buoyancy and supports to the head. It is affixed to your dog’s neck and is required to keep the head of a dog above the water.
Pets should be wearing A Life Vest
There are many kinds of breeds that are excellent swimmers, but even the most experienced swimmers may tire and become scared or be dragged into a powerful current. Like a human when a dog suddenly is thrown into the ocean, it might require assistance to keep its head above the water in particular if terrified or scared or frightened. Strong currents may cause a dog to be submerged which can cause it to fatigue faster. Life vests are a great way to in saving a dog’s life should one of these scenarios occurs.
If a dog has to spend time on boats, boat docks, close to deep water, close to waters with currents, or is an animal that isn’t an excellent swimmer wearing a life jacket is an excellent item to be equipped with. The best case scenario is that a dog will not need it, but in the case that it happens the owner of the dog is sure to be grateful for it and capable of ensuring their pet’s safety.