It may surprise you to realize how much onion the average person eats per day. The onion, and its powdered counterpart, is used in a wide variety of foods, from soups to sauces, because of the unique flavor it imparts. Because onions are used in so many different products, many dog owners have wondered whether they are safe for their canine companions to consume.
Putting an onion in front of a dog – yes or no?
Certainly not, onions are not good for canines. A chemical called N-propyl disulfide is found in these veggies, and it is very hazardous to dogs in large doses. This substance has been linked to the death of red blood cells, which may result in anemia. An severe instance of onion poisoning in a dog may be lethal.
How harmful are onions to canines?
The amount of onions your dog may safely consume is proportional to its size. The American Kennel Club states that a dog may be poisoned by as little as 100g of onion per 20kg of its body weight. This implies that even a tiny bit of onion may be fatal for a canine of a certain size. Not even a little bit of onion is probably too much for a dog, but better safe than sorry.
The meat and leaves of the onion, as well as any fluids or powders made from this vegetable, are toxic to canines. To protect your onions from canine cannibals, it is best to keep your garden enclosed.
When onions are cooked, can dogs eat them?
Not even raw onions are safe for dogs to consume. They retain their toxicity even after being cooked and fried.
Symptoms of onion toxicity
If your dog’s eaten onions, they could show signs of illness within a day, but sometimes it takes several days for the signs of anaemia to become apparent. The following symptoms can develop:
- Decreased appetite
- Pale gums
- Red tinge to urine
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea
- Elevated heart rate
If you notice your dog displaying any of the symptoms listed above, take them to the vet straight away for diagnosis and treatment. A speedy response can make the world of difference.
Treatment for onion poisoning in dogs entails what?
Toxic onion ingestion is treated differently depending on the amount and timing of onion consumption. Assuming you get your dog to the doctor quickly after discovering it has eaten onion, the vet may be able to induce vomiting to flush the onion from your dog’s system before it is digested. This is a prophylactic approach, but it will only be effective if you act promptly.
In the event that your dog shows signs of onion poisoning, it will need supportive care. A blood transfusion may be required if the dog’s health worsens to a critical state.
Your veterinarian will give long-term treatment to restore your dog’s health and happiness if the damage to their red blood cells is extensive.
Reducing the Risk of Onion Poisoning
Never leave an onion where a dog may chew on it, since the effects of eating too many onions can be fatal. Also, many prepackaged soups and sauces include onions, so read labels carefully before feeding them to your dog. Instead of giving your dog table scraps, stick to dog-friendly meals and treats.