Can Dogs Eat Apricots?

Apricots are delicious, sweet, and tropical fruits. They may be a favorite of yours, or you might not like them. What matters most is that your dog understands whether they are good for him. Can your dog safely eat an Apricot?

Your dog can safely eat apricots, sort of.

Although apricots are generally safe for dogs, you should not allow them to eat the seeds. The seeds of Apricots (and other parts) can contain trace amounts of Cyanide. Large quantities of cyanide can cause severe illness (or even death) in small quantities.

Apricots provide a good source of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. However, it is best to avoid the seeds, pit, leaves, stem, and pit. The bottom line is that your dog should only eat small amounts of the apricot fruits. You can give only a small portion of the apricot fruit to your dog, but it is best not to give it all.

Signs Your Dog Might Have Apricot Poisoning

Although apricots are safe for your dog if they are consumed in small quantities, we don’t recommend giving your dog whole apricots as a treat. You should be aware that your dog could get poisoned if they eat any of the delicious apricot parts.

You should be alert and quick to recognize signs of toxicity as soon as your dog eats apricots. If your dog is suffering from apricot poisoning, it might be difficult for him to breathe. He may experience dilation of his pupils and bright red gums. You may notice signs such as fatigue, weakness, or lethargy in your dog, especially if they are high-energy. Shock can also occur in dogs who have been exposed to apricot poisoning. This can be a serious condition that can cause death.

Historical Causes of Apricot Poisoning

We know what you’re thinking – historic causes of apricot poisoning? Isn’t that just the dog eating too many apricots? Well, you’re right. But it’s not always because someone fed a dog too much of the fruit. Sure, you get the off chance that a person who isn’t familiar with dogs is over-feeding their pup apricot, resulting in a fatal situation or making their dog really sick.

Dogs can sometimes get into things that aren’t yours. Dogs can get apricot poisoning from their curiosity. They go on a wild adventure, eat too many apricots, and end up getting lost.

It’s crucial to be aware of the symptoms associated with apricot poisoning. Although you might not know exactly what your dog ate, knowing the signs can help you save their lives. Keep apricots out of reach of your dog if you have them in the home.

Science of Apricot Poisoning in Dogs

We understand that apricot poisoning can be sort of confusing – if the apricot fruit isn’t poisonous, what part is? The bad part of the apricot is in the seed, stem, and the leaves. These are the highly poisonous parts for dogs because they contain cyanide. To understand better how cyanides are poisonous for your dog, it’s better to first understand what cyanide is.

Cyanide can be described as a salt of or ester of hydrocyanic acid containing the anion CN or the group CN. They are chemicals that are specific to the cyano-group. Each carbon atom in the cyano group has three chemical bonds with the nitrogen acid. Cyanides are found in nature from specific types, fungi and bacteria, and even some plants.

Plants have cyanide to stop animals from eating them. It’s a fruit defense mechanism. Cyanide toxin blocks cytochrome oxygenase, an enzyme necessary for cellular oxygen transportation. This prevents cells from getting the proper oxygen uptake. Dogs can quickly die if they are exposed to toxic levels of cyanide.

How to train your dog to stay away from Apricots

Training your dog to avoid eating things they shouldn’t has a lot to do with their basic grasp on commands in general. Make sure your dog is well-acquainted with things like “don’t,” “no,” and “drop it.” These can be life-saving if you catch your dog chomping down on apricots. Additionally, you’ll want to make sure that your dog isn’t too afraid of the vet. Train them to be happy when going to the vet with lots of positive reinforcement, treats, love, and affection.

Apricot poisoning can be treated with medicine. Make sure your dog is comfortable taking their medication from you, eating it in their food, and playing with a throw-and catch game.